I’ve wonder a lot over the years about life after oil, about how poor dietary advice is and how it seems like a pretty terrible society that allows and celebrates obscene accumulations of wealth. As I’ve dug deeper in where our world is going I’ve seen how they’re all inter-connected. The insane growth and consumption generated by cheap oil leads to it all.
- is growth sustainable ?
- can economies grow indefinitely ?
- can countries ever pay off their debts ?
- oil is limited. What happens when it runs out?
- More importantly what happens when we pass peak production ?
- Can world population be fed without oil ?
- What happens to soil used for mono crops when fossil fuel fertilisers are no longer affordable ?
- Do we need a paradigm shift in thinking ?
STEPS YOU CAN TAKE RIGHT NOW
- Start growing some of your own food
- Reduce / remove use of your car. Get rid of your dependency
- Help a friend appreciate the problems we face
- Buy local, buy organic
- Get to know your neighbours
- If you live in a big city keep your car full of petrol
- Have a decent quantity of cash at home. Not for the long term but to survive short term runs on banks